Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why One Should Not Go into a Thrift Store on a Rainy Day

(photo courtesy of my Blackberry, which, why in 2010 didn't come with flash?)

Everyone knows that when it's raining, and there's snow on the ground, and you're in NYC you want to find a way to entertain yourself.
Alors,
I braved the weather and headed to the baby doc avec ma soeur, and she surprised me by saying yes to a stop at the thrift shop. I went in hoping to get cheap furniture I could mimic HGTV on, and left with a buckle-less native american belt and a hunter-green velvet shoulder bag. The belt I just couldn't leave somehow, and got it for practically a steal at $2 (down from $25 because it had no buckle) and the bag was just intriguing ... yes, I paid $8 for intriguing.

So I pulled my hood up and trudged back to the car.
(Also, the lady in the store was so nice!)

I down-zipped my jacket, and felt like a sailor or a pirate who's found gold, or something gold plated. (A sometimes lasting symptom of thrift store euphoria.) And as I was smiling over my lovely belt and dreaming of spring time, I realized ... the part where the belt buckle should be snaps open! It wasn't a foolish purchase after all!
:) 2 years ago I found a vintage gucci belt similar to it, so I can just use the gucci buckle.

And it seems the bag is by paolo gucci ... from my wiki skills, he's gucci name but not gucci fame. Still, it was intriguing and that's why I bought it.

But perhaps it is an $8 lesson in sticking to your gut?

The first bag I picked up after scanning the section was a pretty black leather bag with gold chains, with an X on the front by Paloma Picasso. It was $10. Pretty, but more like a elegant dinner bag. I figured I'd never wear it.

but look ...


I found it on ebay, going for ... breathe now ... $209.00
I mean come on ... should a rainy day really end in buyers remorse?

Intriguing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...