Thursday, September 8, 2011

Again

I am exhausted. I fell asleep early again, but this time I get why. I walked about 25 minutes between buses, and then another 10 minutes to my house. Exercise? check, crashing on my bed ? check. I got to talk to Alex a bit this morning, so it was a good day.

This is how the days seem to play out at my job:

Morning
10am: Stretch
10:10am: Have the kids read/say the date
10:20am: Ask them to individually say the alphabet, the 5, 10 or 20 times tables and count in Spanish
10:30am - 11am: Separate the classes, read to them or teach Math/English/Science
11am - 11:30am: Lunch is served, help younger kids eat
11:30am - 12pm: Clean up the dishes, sweep, set up their cots to sleep

Afternoon
12pm - 3pm: Kids sleep, or pretend to sleep, and one in particular chews on their shoes no matter what you do. Meanwhile I write lesson books and take a lunch break.

After school
3pm - 3:10pm: Wake the kids, put away the cots
3:10pm - 3:30pm: Snack time
3:30pm - 4pm: Clean up
4pm - 5pm: Read to them, have them color, give them an exercise
5pm-6pm: Free play, parents come to pick up their kids
6pm: Take out the trash and leave

Since I work with the older kids, I want to come up with better ways to teach them ... but this is my first week so I'm just assessing the place, the owner, my co-worker, the job risk vs reward, the kids' skill levels and my commute. HP has some good exercises on the site, I'm reading about the Waldorf method, and going through an old book from primary school to remind me of a child's interests. In terms of discipline, I just tell them to sit/stand and think about what they did wrong but I'm looking for better ways. And I'm also looking for ways to address their off-hand comments about their family life ("we cant have a dog because we live in a basement and I don't know my father's number") and stories (one child's stories always involve an evil witch, or a brutal murder).

So i'm going back to bed, its 4:30am... still figuring out this commute.
A demain!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...