Thursday, March 28, 2013

No Espanol

Today I worked on the cash register myself. It was fun :-)

Most significant was my exchange with a woman who spoke very very little English. I mean, she was spelling out her name and address to me in spanish. Picture me saying the spanish alphabet like a preschooler! It was so funny for me because a year before I was teaching preschoolers the English alphabet and now here I was trying to remember what letter "hota" was. It was definitely one of those moments where I learned more from her than she probably learned from me. And when she apologized and said "no English" I replied "no Espanol" and we laughed. Good-humored laughter needed no translation.

It's a reminder that when kids are learning English language it's like learning a new language!
I have never ever taken a formal Spanish class. French was the romance language of my choice. My first introduction to Spanish coursework was when I was 11 and my older sister asked me to do her Spanish homework for her. (I did it with the help of a Spanish-English dictionary).

Definitely I will brush up on my Espanol, because "hota" is the letter J, not the numero 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...