Friday, July 29, 2011

Haha ... Oh Em Gee

So my boyfriend/bestfriend is a Marine and he invited me to go to the annual Marine Corps ball with him in November. The ball is to celebrate the birthday of the Marine Corps. I've never been before, and I'm a bit nervous about what to wear. In these days of fast food meals, and tv dinners, I've still got table etiquette down pat. (Thanks Mom, Grandma, Grandpa!) My grandfather will eat anything you put on a dish with a knife and fork, even though he has a metal rod in his arm. But also as a preteen my grandmother bought me puberty books (I guess talking about it is uncomfortable? Still haven't gotten "the talk," just death stares and insinuations. ) and she also bought me etiquette books. She'd have us set the table for dinner, and you better not put a breakfast fork on there or mismatch the silver.
I think I should brush up though ... failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

It's a big deal to me, not because it's my first real ball (besides prom, and no I didn't have a coming out ball ... just a regular sweet 16.) It's a big deal because under all the black tie and dress blues it's still a work event. You've got to network and be aware that your higher ups are taking note of you and will form an opinion on your leadership abilities based on your conversation, your impeccable dress, the way you eat, the way you treat people, how you dance and if or how much you decide to drink.

It reminds me of Pride and Prejudice and the Netherfield ball they had where "you must invite the militia! They're great company." So much fun, but so proper.

Now, it seems that Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake will be there! However, Scarlett Johanson will not...

USMC just got cooler!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...