Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Today my world was shaken

I was sitting in my sister's living room, watching my niece, watching tv. And then I felt it. An outward physical manifestation of the rocking in my womb ... an earthquake was upon the East coast of North America. 5.9 originating in Virginia, and felt in Washington DC, Martha's Vineyard, OH, NY, Toronto. I couldn't believe it, and did one of those balance regaining moves (hands out to the side surfer style) even though I was sitting, why was the door, the tv, the wall, the whole house shaking?? And my sister not freaking out as I did? Turns out she didnt feel a thing ... she thought it was the construction workers and when I pointed out the kids and security guards running from the high school next door, she said school was out. Talk about waxing optimistic. In fact she had to call everybody and realize that phone lines were out and that those who she did get felt it to believe it.

I tried calling my boyfriend a few times and got his voice mail, turns out he was okay, thank God!

*


Now the rebels have taken Tripoli, and it seems that they have control. Gaddafi, on the other hand, seems to think he is outmaneuvering them ...
Mind you since Mubarrak is out of office, he is the longest standing autocrat in the Arab world. And Egypt borders Libya. Neighboring Tunisia's Albidine Ben Ali has also been deposed this year in uprisings. Algeria's Bouteflika has yet to go. I say that's where he is ... it's closest to where he last had a stronghold in Tripoli.

I sincerely hope there is now a lasting calm in the area, and that in rebuilding a nation corrupt politicians are at an all-time low, and that there is no violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...