Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

Today in New York City we remembered the victims of September 11th 2001. The names of the victims we read by their families at the World Trade Center sites where the planes crashed. The footprints of the twin towers soothed mourners with the sound of smooth waterfalls of a million tears. And all over social media sites people extended condolences, and remembered their own experiences 11 years ago.

I wore a ribbon with the American flag on it to commemorate the day, and remembered the stunned look on everyone's face as we watched the news that night in Jamaica. The realization that it was not just an accidental plane crash as the second one hit, and that a third had been headed toward the Pentagon. My heart clenched in worry for my mom and family, and I was saddened for all who lost their lives. I couldn't watch as I saw someone jump, knowing they knew the inevitable. I would soon find out my family was okay. But the separation by land and sea did not protect the island from this catastrophe. We heard of Jamaicans who died, some who were inside and some who could not outrun the debris. I wondered what did this mean? As a child I had no answers.

Today, 11 years later, it is easy to see that nowhere escaped the change the 9/11 attacks would bring. It has made me more empathetic to the plight of people who are
near or far. We are an interdependent world where globalism means more than economics. It means social welfare. On this day, I pray that we all become active participants in peace. The blue lights from the towers shine tonight to honor the victims, the US military that continues to fight for peace, the families of both, and hopefully the dedication of this God-blessed country to overcome evil with good. Truly, an injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere. We will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...